My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the Peace Corps... However, when different, mine are superior.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

From Freetown

Hey guys!
Today, I'm writing from the Peace Corps hostel in Freetown. It's pretty swanky. Electricity, running water, satellite internet, and the computer room even has AIR CONDITIONING! :O
I'm actually downloading some old video games onto my netbook right now. Crazy! It's great to have these facilities here. The hostel is up on top of a hill overlooking the Atlantic ocean... It's kind of like having a free resort in Freetown. Just went to the "supermarket" down the street, and bought some Diet Coke (can you believe I've only had 3 since coming here??), some mustard, some honey bbq sauce, and an ice cream cone. It cost me a fortune (relative to what I make), but hey- I'm in Freetown! :) I also just found Michael Crichton's "Sphere" on audiotape, so I'm borrowing that :D
School still hasn't started. I was told that it *might* start on Monday, but I still haven't heard that the teachers have been paid, so I'm skeptical.
Heading back to Kamakwie tomorrow morning. The trip is long and a little painful on the tucus, but it's worth hanging out in the hostel for a couple of days. I'll be coming back again next month.
As far as other projects are concerned, my community map is done for now. Excited about taking it to the next level, but I'll be glad to work on something else for a bit. I've been putting together some teaching materials for my classes, so I'll be well equipped for my first few weeks to start off. I made some cool cards that together make up 104 elements of the period table. Plan on assigning each student an element and then having an element-of-the-day. Nicole came up with a great idea do play some games by making students "react" and "bond" with each other- relating valence electrons and such...
My mother has told me to put some pictures on here... I'll do my best :)
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment